Thursday, May 24, 2007

Ahh...Rome's "Broken Technology"




Rome is strange enough as it is, especially when compared to Philadelphia. I thought Rome was going to be some heavenly, beautiful, crystal clean, and modernized place. Well I got 2 out of 4 right. Crystal clean…definitely not and modernized…haha. Ok well maybe to some extent, but with everything that does not work or takes 20 minutes to understand how it works defiantly takes the fun out of the whole Rome experience I was expecting to have…none the less any experience is better then sitting at home in Philadelphia doing the same thing everyday.


My experience in the restaurant Jonathin’s Angels, described as one of the best little restaurants/bars in Rome, was quite an interesting one. I was out with some friends, enjoying the night life of Rome when we decided to sit down for a drink at Jonathin’s Angels. Well, after a lot of water (haha) and some wine, I decided I defiantly needed to check into the bathroom. As I stroll into the room with the bathroom, I wake into this gothic like room with many pictures or the most random things, dark lighting, this aroma that basically takes over you (not in a good way), candles everywhere…ok it defiantly reminded me of a sacrificial room. I wanted to go to the bathroom…not get tortured. Then you see a weird tub like fountain with god knows what because you can barley see and smell. When I finally turned to the left I saw a hole in the ground with a type of toilet seat to maybe stand on and to aim??? I am still not sure because let me tell you…I definitely did not take my chances with that bathroom…I fall everywhere as it is.


Another example of just how comfortable Rome is…is my apartment. I decided with my friends to rent an apartment because it would be better in all aspects: space, privacy, air conditioning, two bathrooms, and general comfort. When we first arrived we thought it was perfect and so was the landlord. But when taking a second glance…things in the house are extremely old, my air conditioner does not work (which is horrible because the heat is coming!), lamps are not working, dressers do not open because they are too old, TV has 3 channels, and all the other problems come as we keep living…so I will update later. Ahh what is a girl to do…but I do love having this apartment and feeling as thought, even just for 6 weeks, that I am totally independent. You don’t get that much of that feeling when your best friends are your parents and when you’re the only child that is considered the oxygen of the family.
: )

No comments: