Thursday, May 24, 2007

What I carry with me

What I carry with me

My sun glasses that I bought in Odessa, which I love and never want to lose, are a warm constant reminder of my vacation to my birthplace. Ever since I was little I would always ask my parents and grandparents to tell me stories about Odessa and what it was like. When my grandmother would make a certain salad, she would say that this smell of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers with a splash of oil and a dash of salt was the common salad her mother made for her and that she makes now for her family. Therefore, from her stories, I have always associated this smell with Odessa. When I arrived in the beautiful city, the smell came back and I understood what my parents and grandparents have always described. As for the rest of the things in my wonderful IMTA (international Modeling and Talent association) bag, there are the very important tissues because I feel as though I am allergic to Rome. When coming to Italy I imagined hat all my problems, including my allergies, would magically disappear—I guess that naive dream didn’t come true. The Advil and Sudafed are also in every bag I own. I feel like I carry a pharmacy with me because my mother is a nurse and Russian which a scary combination. If I cough or sneeze I will have a Sudafed shoved down my throat. My Clean Hands bottle is also a key ingredient in the bubble that my parents would love to surround me in if they could. My dad is a clean lover or lets me honest, a clean freak. Don’t get me wrong clean hands are great! My wallet from Betsy Johnson I got just for Rome because it is the perfect size. I love her and her cooky designs. Ok the extra shoes I carry with me are a comfort factor. The day before I almost died because my feet hurt so badly I thought that was the last day I could every use them again. So…thinking I would be smart and bring some other shoes to help better my foot experience. A notebook…of course take notes for my very important classes: Neighborhood Narratives and Art History. My Camera is my best friend because I love taking pictures to remember every moment in my life because well who knows when amnesia might come knocking...just kidding. I have a cell phone for those emergences, for example if I need to call taxi to come pick me up because I only noticed after 30 min of waiting with my friends at bus stop that the bus does not come on Sundays. As of right now, the garlicky smell of the first chicken legs that my friends and I have prepared together are almost ready! MmMm Can't Wait!

No comments: