Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A little Private to Public please!













There are many different ideas that come to mind when thinking of the transition from public to private and vice versa. For me, the example that most stands out in my mind is the huge transition I made when moving to Rome for 6 weeks with 2 people that I barley know. I am the only child in my family, therefore my wants, needs, likes, dislikes, and living lifestyle in general is centered around me. Going aboard to Rome was not only a chance for me to feel and see a foreign country better but also a chance for me to learn to live on my own without the constant help and support of my parents. My whole privet life was at home. Now, my privet life is on show for two people I barely know. I know one of my roommates for about 1 and ½ year and still feel as though everyday is a learning experience. We are all single children in our families and all have to put out our privet ways of life in “public” for each other. I am not used to share anything with anyone. We plan who showers when because hot water is an issue an issue in our apartment.
I am very proud of myself and them, because we are all shoved into this environment in which we have to understand each other’s needs and wants. Every person has their own individual pet peeves and ways of going about life. I hope that by the end of my trip I will have no doubt in my mind that I can survive on my own. If I will rely on my parents just a little less when I come home to Philly, I will consider this trip as a success in every way.

When looking at this adorable couple kissing and cuddling in the park I knew this was the best example of privet to public transition. Their feelings for one another were privet but where in a public area for all to see. Their openness next to a beautiful fountain just reminds me how romantic Rome can be.

While passing on a little street, I noticed this gate around a beautiful building that was gated off from the street. It made me think, the owners of this home wanted to keep their lives privet but this gate let public eyes look into their little “sanctuary.” Anyone…like my camera can take any moment and save it for themselves.

No comments: