Thursday, May 24, 2007

The invisible city


There are so many interesting things that go on behind the tourists attractions, the shopping, and the gelatos (even though they are all wonderful) in Rome. When I look at the Rome I see and feel the life that breaths through every person, the never-ending winding streets, the piazzas, and in the ancient buildings. After a sweaty and exhausting day of classes, on my way home, when i was walking into the termini station, the first thing I noticed was a group of white blobs slowly working through the array or tourists and natives. When I took a second glance, I noticed they blobs were actually cute, little, old women who were probably part of some religious group. They were dressed in white, in sneakers, and little black pocket books. Their appearance made me want to stare at them, partly because I am Russian and that’s what we do, but also because they were so clean and pure. They stood out from the crowed of the many frantic people. I thought they are the perfect representation of the invisible Rome because even though Rome is a city that has changed through time, we can still see representation of religious people following old traditions.

No comments: